Sunday, June 27, 2004

In the Garden

“Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned toward him and said, in Hebrew, “Raboni!” (This means “Teacher.”) John 20:16

I woke up tired and worried one morning, after a long, sleepless night. I said a prayer of praise and thanksgiving to God for the new day and the opportunity to serve Him. Having a positive attitude and singing praises to God while doing chores helped. But my heart was aching, burdened with questions without answers, longing for assurance that the Lord was in control of each member of my family. My husband’s words were no comfort. When my family left, I sought refuge in my Friend. At last, alone with Him, I needed not be strong anymore. So I knelt, wept and poured my soul before Him.

Mary was anguished. Tears streamed down her cheeks; her heart broken by the death of her Master. And now… his body was not in the grave! Immersed in her sorrow, she was unable to recognize the voice she heard. “It must be the gardener”, she thought. Mary was in the very presence of Jesus, without perceiving it! But Christ, who notices every teardrop and understands the longings of our hearts, saw her anguish and suffering. He spoke and called her name! When Mary realized she was in the presence of her beloved Master everything changed. He turned her tears into joy and new hope.

Like Mary, often times and for many reasons, comfortless, we cry. Although in the presence of our Master, our soul groans in pain and suffering. But the moment when we hear his voice and listen to his words he fills our heart with peace, assurance and joy! There is power in His words!

That morning, in the midst of my tears, wonderful promises from God’s Word came to me, bringing the much needed assurance of his guidance. I lay all my burdens in his hands and felt great comfort and peace.

If in the midst of sorrow we learn to listen to His voice, everything will change. We have a loving Savior who weeps with us. But also offers us his grace, his strength and his peace. Even when we don’t perceive him, He is always by our side. Every day he calls our name, longing to comfort us. No matter the reason for our sorrow and anguish, when we seek Him in the garden He wipes our tears. What a wonderful Savior!

Prayer: I praise you, Lord, for You are my Comfort in time of need! May I seek you in the garden at the start of every day so that we may walk hand in hand along life's narrow way. Amen
© Copyright Rhodi Alers de López, 2003

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

RHODI;
MAY GOD CONTINUE TO USE IN HIS WORK,BLESS ALL THE PEOPLE THAT YOU HAVE TOUCH LIKE ME ,GOD BLESS YOU TODAY AND ALWAYS.I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOU.
SARAH

Rhodi Alers de López said...

Thanks, Sarah. I appreciate knowing the words God gives me are helpful to others. Thanks for your prayers.
Rhodi

Anonymous said...

Speaking to me... Only God knows how much I need to hear his voice today ! Thank you!