Wednesday, November 24, 2004

“Thanksgiving”



What is “Thanksgiving? Is it merely one day each year in which we gather with family and friends to eat, drink and celebrate the pilgrims’ arrival from England to the coasts of Massachusetts, USA and their survival? Is it the day in which we show our gratitude to God? What are we teaching our children and those around us regarding such celebration?

The Word of God bids us be thankful. Are we showing gratitude towards God and those around us? Gratitude isn’t something we express in a day set by men. It isn’t something we do by requirement or obligation. Gratitude is a s spontaneous expression from the heart towards our benefactor. For those who know the Lord and follow his steps, thanksgiving is a way of life, because they recognize the mercies of God Creator, Sustainer and Redeemer. From a heart, humbled by so many undeserving favors, springs gratitude’s sweet aroma and, like the psalmist he exclaims: “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits”(Psalm 103:2).

Psalms 26:6-7 reads: “I will wash my hands to show I am innocent and march in worship around your altar, I sing a hymn of thanksgiving and tell of all your wonderful deeds”. According to the psalmist, “thanksgiving” is to testify, express gratitude to God for every one of his favors. Psalm 100:4 invites us to come to the house of the Lord and express our gratitude: “Enter the Temple gates with thanksgiving; go into its courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise him”. Let us express our thankfulness to God with our voices, giving testimony. Let us sing hymns of thanksgiving and praise to the Lord (Psalms 13:6, 96:2, 105:2). Let us express gratitude in prayer (Colossians 4:2). Let us express gratitude in sharing what we have received with those who are needy, which “causes through us thanksgiving to God” (2 Corinthians 9:11, 12).

In I Thessalonians 5:18, Paul admonishes us: “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you”. Let us be thankful, not only for our earthly possessions, but for our salvation, God’s priceless gift (2 Corinthians 9:15). Let us be thankful to God for those around us (1 Corinthians 1:4, Ephesians 1:16). Let us be thankful for the victory he has promised (1 Corinthians 15:57). And let us be thankful with every one. May we learn from Christ, the King of the Universe, who always showed gratitude to his heavenly Father. While learning to be thankful and expressing gratitude, we are getting ready to, one day very soon, thank our loving Savior, face to face, for each and every one of his precious blessings.

My prayer for today:
Dear heavenly Father: I praise you and thank you for your countless blessings and the loving way you care for me. Give me an attitude of spontaneous thanksgiving towards you and with those around me. Help me notice the many reasons I should be thankful for. Amen.

©Rhodi Alers de López, 1999- translated 2004.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful reminder to be thankful and joyful :)
Happy Thanksgiving

~Evie

Anonymous said...

Rhodi,

Beautiful words on Thanksgiving. You are correct when you write that one should give "thanks" in all things--all day long!

Good reference to Psalm 26. Beautiful psalm..I also love Psalm 27. It seems to be speaking to me these last couple of days...

Wonderful writing, Rhodi

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhodi Alers de López, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on thanksgiving gift basket I somehow ended up on your page. As your “Thanksgiving” is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about thanksgiving gift basket, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhodi Alers de López, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on personalized baby gift basket when I found your page. Your site describing “Thanksgiving” is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on personalized baby gift basket then drop by the site above and check it out.