Monday, August 30, 2004

A Tribute To Friendship


Many times I’ve thanked God for friends and the opportunity to be a friend! Many times I’ve replied “that’s what friends are for”. Today, as I ponder the purpose of friendship I’d like to acknowledge its value. Though a difficult task, I’ve intended to describe in simple words some of what friendship entails, as a tribute to this precious gift from heaven and the many friends I’ve been blessed with.

What are friends for?

To laugh, to cry, to lend a hand
To help you sometimes understand
That not all choices are as good,
But that they’re always here for you.

…To make you giggle and forget
Your troubles and your cares on earth;
They help bring out the best in us.
They share the load, never charge us!

Friends know you more than next of kin
And understand your moods and swings.
They hear you out and never judge,
They share your triumph or your crush.

Friends are a blessing and at times,
A friend’s an angel in disguise
To guide, inspire you and to cheer;
They’re light that casts away your fear.

Much like a mother, a friend loves
Regardless of your gain or loss.
When others judge and criticize
A true friend stands right by your side.

So friends are treasures: silver, gold,
Or diamond stones to be held close.
Cherish your friends. Be a true friend.
Make sure good friendships never end!

©Rhodi Alers de López, 2004

3 comments:

Donna J. Shepherd said...

Nice, Rhodi! I wish we were all blessed with such friends, don't you? Thanks for sharing!

Donna
Devotionals by Donna – Lessons Learned from Everyday Events

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the poem. I have a good friend that I feel that way about.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem on friendship! True words on what a friend really is. When one has a true friend, it is indeed like silver or gold and to be treasured.

Toni